Unframed Embroidery

| on
6:49 PM

     

Isn't it fun to finish those projects that somehow never were completed when they were first started?   

I was excited to finish 3 embroidery projects at my house this week!   


After the embroidery is completed, the next question is how to frame and hang it.   The three options I considered were framing, hooping or using bias tape.

Framing: Okay, so I already have lots of framed pictures around the house and didn't feel like spending money on more.   Plus, that hard and defined look is not what I was going for.    

FRAMING
Hooping:  Hooping is popular right now and can be very cute.   My three projects were the wrong shape, though.

   Bias  Tape:  This seemed like the right answer.  Bias tape is inexpensive and can be purchased in all kinds of colors and patterns.  

It is a narrow strip of fabric that is cut at a 45 degree angle from the selvage edge of the fabric.  It has been folded into the center, so there are no raw edges to deal with.  It is very easy to make your own bias tape.  Here is an excellent tutorial with pictures and instructions on how to make your own.


   Below are pictures of my 3 finished embroidery projects, framed with bias tape.  It was easy and fast to attach the tape. The tape was attached to the front with my sewing machine and then simply blind stitched on the backside.   It gave me a result with a softer look, than either the frame or hoop would have given me.  





5 comments on "Unframed Embroidery"
  1. Hi Rhonda,
    Those are so adorable. That s a really great idea! I never thought about using Bias Tape to "frame" a project. Thanks so much for sharing! Ans for Linking up! xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this softly "framed"! I'm planning to use this tip, as it always seems so difficult and time-consuming to find the right wooden frame. And framed like this, it's easy to store if you decide to switch out pieces. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet finish for your stitcheries, I like this so much better than a hard frame! The kitten in a basket is really adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda, I need a mailing address for you.
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,
      Thank you for having the linky party on http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/. I posted my address on FB page, https://www.facebook.com/alittlewhitehen/info/?tab=overview.

      Delete

A Little White Hen

A Little White Hen
Leave It Better Than You Found It